Friday, September 18, 2009

That Time of the Year!

My annual Emmy post! That time of year again, the Primetime Emmy Awards are on Sunday night. CBS is airing them this year, Neil Patrick Harris is hosting (a big step up from last year’s monstrosity that they called hosting). I’ll skip a repeat of that rant and just move along to the nominees and my picks.


Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Steve Carell – Michael Scott on “The Office”

Tony Shalhoub – Adrian Monk on “Monk”

Jemaine Clement – Jemaine on “Flight of the Conchords”

Jim Parsons – Sheldon Cooper on “The Big Bang Theory”

Alec Baldwin – Jack Donaghy on “30 Rock”

Charlie Sheen – Charlie Harper “Two and a Half Men”

My Pick: Jim Parsons – Sheldon Cooper

My thoughts: In a perfect world it would be a tie between my two favorites, Steve Carell and Jim Parsons. This award has gone to Alec Baldwin over the last couple of years, each time I’ve disagreed with this. I watch 30 Rock and while it is an amusing show clearly this should go to Jim Parsons for Big Bang Theory (I’m not going to get started on the fact that Johnny Galecki was not nominated, wtf?). I really think he’s got the best chance this year. Although it would be a nice way for Tony Shalhoub to go out as this is the last season of Monk.


Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Sarah Silverman – Sarah Silverman on “The Sarah Silverman Program” (Holy crap)

Mary-Louise Parker – Nancy Botwin on “Weeds”

Julia Louis-Dreyfus – Christine on “The New Adventures of Old Christine”

Toni Collette – Tara Gregson on “The United States of Tara”

Christina Applegate – Samantha Newly on “Samantha Who?”

Tina Fey – Liz Lemon on “30 Rock”

My Pick: Tina Fey – Liz Lemon on “30 Rock”

My thoughts: I’m not just saying this so that I can go “Hey! I had one right!” Given the other people nominated it just seems like the obvious choice. Toni Collette is fantastic as Tara, but I don’t really see that show as a comedy, it’s more of a dramedy. If anyone else has a chance I think it would Christina Applegate.


Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Hugh Laurie – Dr. Gregory House on “House”

Michael C. Hall – Dexter Morgan on “Dexter”

Simon Baker – Patrick Jane on “The Mentalist”

Gabriel Byrne – Paul on “In Treatment”

Bryan Cranston – Walter White on “Breaking Bad”

Jon Hamm – Don Draper on “Mad Men”

My Pick: Hugh Laurie – Dr. Gregory House on “House”

My thoughts: Sweet Lord! Just give it to Hugh Laurie already! This season of House was IN-FREAKING-CREDIBLE! You had House loosing his mind, the biggest Huddy-tease of all time, please please let him get it this year.


Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Mariska Hargitay – Olivia Benson on “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit”

Kyra Sedgwick – Brenda Leigh Johnson on “The Closer”

Holly Hunter – Grace Hanadarko on “Saving Grace”

Sally Field – Nora Walker on “Brothers & Sisters”

Elisabeth Moss – Peggy Olson on “Mad Men”

Glenn Close – Patty Hewes on “Damages”

My Pick: Mariska Hargitay – Olivia Benson on “L&O: SVU”

My thoughts: I hope Holly Hunter wins just so I can hear her give a speech. I’m still quoting Broadcast News. Smart money is on Mariska, I can’t really comment on this because I stopped watching SVU on a regular basis. It is entirely possible that Elisabeth Moss could snag it; people do seem to love Mad Men. Other than that I really don’t have an opinion on this aside from “Where is the nom for Lisa Edelstein?”


Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie

Kevin Bacon – Lt. Col. Mike Strobl in “Taking Chance”

Brendan Gleeson – Winston Churchill in “Into The Storm”

Kenneth Branagh – Kurt Wallander in “Wallander: One Step Behind”

Kevin Kline – Cyrano de Bergerac in “Cyrano de Bergerac”

Sir Ian McKellen – King Lear in “King Lear”

Kiefer Sutherland – Jack Bauer in “24: Redemption”

My Pick: Kevin Bacon – Lt. Col. Mike Strobl in “Taking Chance”

My thoughts: Taking Chance was an incredible film. My love of Kevin Kline and Ian McKellen aside, I really think that Kevin Bacon is going to take it.


Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie

Drew Barrymore – Little Edie in “Grey Gardens”

Jessica Lange – Big Edie in “Grey Gardens”

Sigourney Weaver – Mary Griffith in “Prayers For Bobby”

Shirley MacLaine – Coco Chanel in “Coco Chanel”

Chandra Wilson – Yvonne in “Accidental Friendship”

My Pick: Drew Barrymore – Little Edie in “Grey Gardens”

My thoughts: I loved loved loved Grey Gardens! I’m a fan of the original documentaries and this movie really gave us an inside look at how these two women got to this place. It was beautifully done and Drew was just incredible as Little Edie, that was a big role to take and she did so beautifully.


Outstanding Comedy Series

“Entourage”

“Weeds”

“How I Met Your Mother”

“Flight of the Conchords”

“30 Rock”

“The Office”

“Family Guy”

My Pick: “The Office”

My thoughts: Side stepping the rant of “Big Bang Theory” not being nominated, I really think “The Office” earned the Emmy this year. Season 5 was incredible! You had the Michael Scott Paper Company, a dance off, the company picnic, THE DUEL, how could this possibly NOT go to them?


Outstanding Drama Series

“Big Love”

“Dexter”

“House”

“Damages”

“Mad Men”

“Breaking Bad”

“Lost”

My Pick: “House”

My thoughts: “House” was simply outstanding this year! I can’t even begin to count the “gasp” moments I had this season. The Huddy development, the Kutner story line, House’s hallucinations… it has been a fantastic season and I really hope that they’ll acknowledge that.


Outstanding Made for Television Movie

“Taking Chance”

“Grey Gardens”

“Into the Storm”

“Prayers for Bobby”

“Coco Chanel”

My Pick: “Grey Gardens”

My thoughts: I just can’t get over how much I loved this movie. Again, I’m a big fan of the documentary and this movie just brought these two women to a level of understanding for the audience. Beautifully made movie, fantastic performances, and just glorious in every way.


Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

Kevin Dillon – Johnny Drama on “Entourage”

Jon Cryer – Alan Harper on “Two and a Half Men”

Rainn Wilson – Dwight Schrute on “The Office”

Neil Patrick Harris – Barney Stinson on “How I Met Your Mother”

Tracy Morgan – Tracy Jordan on “30 Rock”

Jack McBrayer – Kenneth Parcell on “30 Rock”

My Pick: Either: Jon Cryer – Alan Harper on “Two and a Half Men”

Or

Rainn Wilson – Dwight Schrute on “The Office”

My thoughts: Ever since they’ve started nominated Jon Cryer for this award I have been pulling for him. He plays a great characters and deserves some recognition for it. That being said. Dwight Shcrute is possibly one of my all time favorite TV show characters of all time. I’d be happy if either of these guys took the Emmy home.

Dwight

Alan


Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

William Shatner – Denny Crane on “Boston Legal”

Michael Emerson – Ben Linus on “Lost”

William Hurt – Daniel Purcell on “Damages”

Christian Clemenson – Jerry Espenson on “Boston Legal”

Aaron Paul – Jesse Pinkman on “Breaking Bad”

John Slattery – Roger Sterling on “Mad Men”

My Pick: William Shatner – Denny Crane on “Boston Legal”

My thoughts: This was a great role for Shatner and of all the nominees, it really should go to him.


Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

Kristin Chenoweth – Olive Snook on “Pushing Daisies”

Elizabeth Perkins – Celia Hodes on “Weeds”

Vanessa Williams – Wilhelmina Slater on “Ugly Betty”

Jane Krakowski – Jenna Maroney on “30 Rock”

Amy Poehler – Various Characters on “Saturday Night Live”

Kristen Wiig – Various Characters on “Saturday Night Live”

My Pick: Jane Krakowski – Jenna Maroney on “30 Rock”

My thoughts: I’ve been a fan of Jane since the Ally McBeal days, so I’m pleased to see her nominated. However I’m not hell bent on her winning because Amy Poehler and Kristen Wiig both had great seasons on SNL. This one is up in the air.


Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

Sandra Oh – Dr. Cristina Yang on “Grey’s Anatomy”

Rose Byrne – Ellen Parsons on “Damages”

Chandra Wilson – Dr. Miranda Bailey on “Grey’s Anatomy”

Dianne Wiest – Gina on “In Treatment”

Hope Daive – Mia on “In Treatment”

Cherry Jones – President Allison Taylor on “24”

My thoughts: I don’t watch any of these shows, so I really have no opinion on this category.


Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Real Time with Bill Maher

The Colbert Report

Late Show with David Letterman

Saturday Night Live

My Pick: Saturday Night Live

My thoughts: This is the first year without a Late Night with Conan O’Brien nomination so I’m free to support SNL. I think with this past year with the elections and what not that SNL will probably take it. If not them, then hopefully either Jon Stewart or Colbert.


Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Series

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

The Colbert Report

Late Show with David Letterman

Saturday Night Live

Late Night with Conan O’Brien

My Pick: Guess. Late Night with Conan O’Brien

My thoughts: I love Late Night with COB. I really think that this would be a great book end for that show ending and maybe help with the development of Conan’s Tonight Show. They were consistently funny and always entertaining, So that’s where I am on this one.



I think that’s about it for the major stuff. I would’ve done the Outstanding Writing for Comedy and Drama series’. However, the Comedy nominees were all for “30 Rock” and one for “Flight of the Conchords.” While the Drama nominees were all for “Mad Men” and one for “Lost.” Either way I think we all know which shows are winning in those categories. I really think that there should’ve been some other shows in there. “House” had an incredible season as did “The Office” and “Big Bang Theory.”

Two shows that are missing from these awards that I think should have nominations across the board. First: “Burn Notice” this is an incredible, original show. The cast is made up of talented people and the stories are engaging. Where are the noms?

Second: Law & Order Criminal Intent. In my opinion the best of the three Law & Order shows. Vincent D’Onofrio gives a consistently incredible performance every episode and the rest of the cast is equally talented.

Those are just my thoughts, remember to tune in on Sunday.

2 comments:

MMcH said...

Oh man, I kinda want to see Kevin Dillon take best supporting for Entourage, but I assume this is based off of last season, and he has been sooo much better this year.

Other than that, NPH for entertaining me (one of the few shows I can watch that turns my mood, and he is a large reason for that.) On the other hand, why isn't Jason Segel nominated? He has come on in leaps and bounds since that show started and deserves some recognition for it.

And yes, there should be more love for Burn Notice. FACT.

Geek Girl said...

I'd like to see Jason Segel nominated too. This is off of the past season so I think Kevin Dillon will have more of a chance next year.
There are a couple of actors and actresses left out... mainly because we have to give every to someone from 30 Rock. I like the show but at the same time there are those that I like better.

Fact is factual =)