Thursday, September 3, 2009

4 Day Weekend Baby!

Netflix arrived today, you know how excited I get when that happens!
So this is what came:

Love in the Time of Money (2002) an Indie/romantic comedy. Normally these movies tend to be identical and depressing but I actually enjoyed this one... although it still had hints of being depressing. And it is rated R for a reason, there are some areas that might be uncomfortable for some people. I don't want to give anything away but there are some dealings with suicide in it.
So, the amazing cast. No one can feel depressed with this cast:
Steve Buscemi
Rosario Dawson
Michael Imperioli (*melts*)
Jill Hennessy
Adrian Grenier
And many more. The movie is woven together with little segments about different characters. They each get about 15-20 minutes each and then they meet someone and we follow that person to the next portion. It moved quickly and had some dark comedy. Now I know everyone thinks that Adrian Grenier is all dreamy and what have you. But I beg to differ. Between Michael Imperioli and Steve Buscemi there was just no screen left for Adrian. Imperioli tends to get type-casted as the Italian badass, but this movie proved that he is capable of so much more. And I'm just happy any time Steve Buscemi gets a girl in a movie. I'm always like "Yay! Good for you!"


Now the other movie that arrived that I watched tonight was Miami Rhapsody (1995). This is one of those movies that I think I've seen all of, but aren't quite sure of it. What a great flick! Again a fantastic cast:
Sarah Jessica Parker
Gil Bellows (Billy from Ally McBeal anyone?)
Antonio Banderas
Mia Farrow
Kevin Pollak
Jeremy Piven
A small part for Ben Stein
And some very uncomfortable moments from Kelly Bishop (Aka Emily from Gilmore Girls) Some people I just see as a "grown-up" no matter what age I am. And when they get freaky or say dirty things, I find it moderately unsettling.
So SJP's character Gwen is at a new Gynocologist and starts to tell this story about how she was proposed to. It takes off from there, looking at the different marriages and relationships around Gwen and how they affect her. It really is a great movie, especially if you're looking for something to just kind of veg out and watch.


I also got Las Vegas, An Unconventional History: American Experience... because that's just how I am. I love documentaries about cities, periods in time, Hollywood pre-Hays or post-Hays Production Code, the rating system for movies, the use of the F-word, past presidents, etc. I'm all kinds of Doc-geek.

And on that note, Conan is starting and my geeking must be focused on that lanky, red-headed delight.

--Geek Girl

No comments: