Tuesday, November 3, 2009

What the What!?

CAUTION! MAD MEN SPOILERS FOR SEASON 3!

So I missed most of season 3 of Mad Men. I've only caught the last three or four episodes. You faithful watchers can just imagine my surprise when I was watching "The Grown Ups" this past Sunday and Duck suddenly calls Peggy looking for some afternoon delight. Apparently not a surprising action if I had seen this:


So I have two different positions on this.
(1) Ew. Well... ew-ish. I just never thought of these two together. Personally I was always a bit bummed that Peggy didn't end up with Paul, I think it was. The guy who was really nice to her in season 1 and took her for lunch, then kissed her in the office. And I am of course happy that it's not Pete. I hate Pete. I want to punch him in the head.

(2) Score one for those who enjoy unusual pairings. I am one of these people. I really enjoy when shows pull something like this, putting two random characters together. (Which explains my desire for a Toby/Kelly shipping on The Office) It creates a level of realism, gives the audience a break from all the beautiful people getting together.

Keeping with the vein of Mad Men, does anything think we're going to see some more Joan/Roger development? I don't know why, but there's something just deliciously interesting about them and these little moments they keep having on the phone.

Now. "The Grown Ups" Season 3 Episode 12. Bullet-points baby!
  • How freaking incredible! I've been waiting to see how they were going to handle the Kennedy Assassination. And I think they did so beautifully.

  • The whole time that Pete and Harry were talking and you could see the news playing quietly in the background. I was just going "turn up the volume! Look to your left!"

  • Again, I was a bit blindsided by the whole Duck/Peggy thing.

  • Everything with the wedding was just the best kind of tension.

  • I love that at the end of the night Roger was on the phone with Joan. There's something I don't like about Jane, she's like the poor man's Joan.

  • Thought the way they framed everything beginning with Kennedy's assassination, having that tension afterwards, and then the climax of the show coming at the same time as Oswald being shot by Ruby. As a student of writing I enjoyed it and as a conspiracy theory enthusiast I was impressed with how they used the material.
A great night of TV. I really wish that they had a longer season but at the same time they really pack each episode.

No comments: