Sunday, December 6, 2009

Theatre Recs

Long time between posts, apologies and bygones to my three readers. With the semester wrapping up now, hopefully updates will be a bit more frequent.
Saw two great movies in theatre these past couple of weeks.

Pirate Radio (or The Boat That Rocked if you're of the UK persuasion)



One of my favorite movies, not just for 2009 but all time. Saw it twice in the theatre, it has to be good for me to go more than once.

First of all the cast. A stellar group of performers that offer something for everyone.
Philip Seymour Hoffman is the incredible DJ known only as "The Count." I am now convinced that he is one of the most talented actors out there and doesn't get the amount of recognition he deserves.
Also in the cast Nick Frost, a delight for those of us who are fans of Hot Fuzz, Spaced and Shaun of the Dead. Bill Nighy, who we all know as the aging pop star from Love Actually. The majority of the cast is British and fans of BBC shows will recognize them as such. Also a small appearance from January Jones, Mrs. Betty Draper herself!
And a very special surprise actor/actress that I will not mention, cause I'd hate to spoil it for those who've yet to see.

The story takes place in the 1960s, when pop and rock music were banned from British radio stations. Because of this pirate radio stations were popping up in the North Sea, Radio Rock the most popular. Young Carl is sent to live with his godfather, Quintin (Nighy) and we go from there. The government is hell bent on shutting them down and the effort is lead by Kenneth Branagh. It's a brilliantly written script, lots of British humor. The same writer and director of Love Actually, Richard Curtis, guarantees a high production value.

Something else to be commented on: The Music. Oh my God. Hands down one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a long time. It's the beauty of a period piece, none of those emo, alt rock songs you get today with every independent film out there. The Kinks, The Beach Boys, The Who. I actually didn't have to buy the soundtrack because I already had most of the songs. After I left the theatre there was no way I could get my music loud enough. Philip Seymour Hoffman gives a great speech about the music and what it represents, how you can try to silence the radio stations but there's no way you can silence the message.

See this movie, even if you have to go out of the way.


The Blind Side



This was really an incredible movie. Perfect for the holiday release.

Based on a true story a family takes in a homeless young man who goes to school with their kids. I think you get the gist of things from the trailer, but it really is a well made, touching movie. It's got moments of cliche, but what movie doesn't. Sandra Bullock is hands down one of my favorite actresses of all time and I think it's time she got herself an Oscar. Kathy Bates and Tim McGraw also do justice to the roles they fill. And of course Quinton Aaron who plays Michael is just incredible as the male lead.

Definitely worth seeing if you haven't already.


Coming up, that I really want to see:

It's Complicated
Holy Cast, Batman! Most excited to see Steve Martin, "Not a great time to be feeling groovy"

The Strip
I'm in it for Dave Foley, shocker I know.

Sherlock Holmes
I'm a Holmes fan from way back, ever since the 7th grade. So I do have mixed feelings on this. Ultimately every reproduction of Holmes can bring something new and incredible but at the same time anger those of us who enjoy the canon. The original text aside, I really like the look of Robert Downy Jr. and Jude Law as Holmes and Watson, they seem to have a nice chemistry, looking forward to the release.

No comments: