Friday, October 30, 2009

"Don't stop me now! I'm kickin'!"

Netflix Score this week! April in Pars (1952) a musical starring Doris Day, Ray Bolger, and Claude Dauphin. One of my all time favorite movies, but one that has been difficult to track down.

The first time I saw this movie was at my Grandma's house. She had it on VHS and I remember sitting in the spare bedroom (that's where the VCR was), watching this technicolor delight. My Grandma had a ton of costume jewelry and scarves that were there for me to play with. So I got all dressed up; long silver gloves, which at the time went all the way up my arms, clip on earrings that looked like a bouquet of navy blue flowers with rhinestones in the middle, a large dinner ring to match, and a string of fake pearls. Also a scarf that I would tie around my head as a girl in a convertible would. In my case it was when I went into the hallway cause that was "outside."

I would pretend that it was the 50s and going to the movies was a big to-do. I'd tie my white, flowery scarf around my head, skip downstairs to get a bowl of popcorn and return to the "theatre" aka spare room. I can't help but think of my Grandma when I think about Doris Day. A lot of my love for music from the 40s and 50s comes from Gram. In particular the song "Que Sera Sera" which Gram would change to "Que Sara Sara" for my benefit.

This movie has always stayed with me. It's a situation of letters being sent to the wrong women. An invitation to represent Broadway at a festival in France was sent to Ethel "Dynamite" Jackson, a chorus girl played by Doris Day. Assistant Secretary to the Assistant to the Undersecretary of State, S. Winthrop Putnam, must try and fix this situation. But ends up infatuated with Dynamite.

Terrific musical numbers, my favorite is We're Gonna Ring the Bell Tonight. Which is a grand number that takes place on the ship traveling to France.

I won't give anything else away, but if you've seen any of the Doris Day musicals, you can probably guess how it ends. Never-the-less, it's delightful.

The trailer:


Definitely a movie worth checking out.

No comments: