Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Whatever Happened To?

So I went to the movies today (by myself. Geekish, I know.) I want to know what the hell happened to movies that revolved around story lines or characters. Maybe some dialouge. For the half hours of previews that I sat through I either cringed because of the loud and constant gunshots, screaming, and (much to my dislike) the splatter of blood. Or I sat there astounding that these movies were seriously being released to the public. Oh! And by the way, movies about hitchhikers murdering people, spies playing with guns in the woods, or houses trying to kill people ARE NOT approved for all audiences. I'm 18 and I felt compelled to cover my eyes. One thing that does seem to be a bright light in all of the desensitized movies that are coming out now is the idea that if they are giving these people movies then maybe I'll have a chance. Of course if I ever write my genius comedy script it will probably be rewritten to include aforemention hitchhiker or some sort of political aspect. It's a fucked up world we live in. Whatever happened to the comedy?

2 comments:

Cory Wiegersma said...

Unfortunately, Hollywood happened to the comedy. As well as to a lot of the drama and other things that I particularly liked, from the late 80s and early to mid 90s - some of my favorite movies. (not that I watch any movies, mind you...)

Crystal said...

Wow, I just typed this really awesome long comment and Google killed it moments later. I'll attempt to recapture it, but it will probably lack its original, spontaneous charm. Uhmm. Basically, I was saying something like I don't mean to nit-pick blah blah but it's technically the trailers that are approved for all audiences blah I understand what you mean to a certain degree about violence and whatnot in films, though, but I have a bigger issue with special effects for the sake of special effects. Those give me headaches and make me walk out of movies, which is why I tend to prefer low-budget indie films that can't afford 'em. Also, I admitted to enjoying an occasional gorefest slasher flick, but I don't think that necessarily means I'm desensitized. Slasher flicks tend to be unrealistic, which in my opinion makes the violence contextually comedic. (Think: Nightmare on Elm Street.) However, when you use violence in film to make something more realistic, like for example in Alfonso Cuaron's BEAUTIFUL Children of Men, it allows the film to become far more moving and disturbing, emphasizing the "bigger picture."

Also, about houses eating people, are you talking about Monster House, that CG kid's movie? Cos that was pretty awesome and way less violent than like, Harry Potter. (I'm not bashing Harry Potter, I love the books, and the movies are OK, I'm just sayin'.)

Lastly, the reason I even bothered to comment: your blog made me smile.

Cheers.

Sorry for being so long-winded.