Sunday, January 7, 2007

Podcast Vs. Podcast

"Yeah I listen to two Harry Potter podcasts"
"Don't worry, I find that rather endearing"
-My sister and I


So I've got many... MANY obsessions in my geek life. The biggest one after Star Wars is Harry Potter. I'm a multi-layered geek (how do I not have guys in line for me?). And within each fandom I'm apart of I've got even more layers of obsession. So with Harry Potter... well I'll just come out and say it... I've got it bad for Professor Snape. I'm not ashamed.

Because I've got these interests I enjoy listening to podcasts for both. There is a wonderful one called Snapecast (http://snapecast.com/episodes/) it's a podcast completely devoted to Snape. The other one I listen to is Mugglecast (http://www.mugglenet.com/mugglecast/), which is kind of a given since most any Harry Potter fan is either a supporter of Mugglenet or Leaky Cauldren when it comes to Harry Potter news. I'm getting away from where I was trying to go with this.

Here's where I am going. I don't want to pin these podcasts against each other but here's my thing. I love both of these podcasts for their own reasons but I've also got issues with them for different reasons. Mugglecast spends quite a bit of time getting off topic. When I read their description for the week's episode and see a topic that I'm interested in I download it and sit down to listen to said topic. What I end up with is about half an hour of inside jokes and randomness until I can get to the topic. At first I wasn't too bothered but then it contiuned and started to become annoying. With Snapecast it's not really that they get off topic it's just that you have trouble hearing them or understanding what they're saying.

I don't want to attack anyone or come off as some geek-bitch but this is just something I wanted to say. If you're going to do a podcast at least do it well. The two that I mentioned both have a good show going it's just little things that kinda get on peoples nerves. I have one friend who stopped listening to Mugglecast because she didn't like it when they got off topic so much with inside jokes that the listeners didn't always follow.

Still. Check out the links I put. They both do a good job on what they do...

...And Snape is innocent.

No comments: